13 ISBN 9780444506054
This annual retains the tradition of providing a collection of succinct but informative reviews on major topics in clinical care, and basic science related to clinical issues. It was compiled by a new team of editors, who, together with the authors, provide insights into their areas of expertise. This work should be of interest to any clinician or scientist wanting an overview of key areas of interest in the field of diabetes as we enter the 21st century.
Preface. List of contributors. 1. UKPDS: implications for management (J.W. Campbell). 2. Adipose tissue balance technique: application in human disease (S.W. Coppack, K.N. Frayn). 3. Potassium channels and insulin release (R.M. Shepherd, K.E. Cosgroove, M.J. Dunne). 4. Islet transplantation: where are we? (R.P. Robertson). 5. Endothelial function in diabetes (C.D.A. Stehouwer, E.H. Serne, R.O.B. Gans). 6. The hexosamine signaling pathway: role in glucose sensing and integration of cellular metabolism (S. Marshall, J.M. Rumberger). 7. Glut4 and insulin-stimulated glucose transport in peripheral tissues: lessons from cell biology and transgenic mice (V.H. Maier, G.W. Gould). 8. Cortisol in insulin resistance syndromes (B.R. Walker). 9. Twins in diabetes research (A. Vaag, P. Poulsen). 10. What have metabolic studies in healthy relatives taught us about the pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes (B. Nyholm, T. Ostergard, A. Vaag, O. Schmitz). 11. Genetics of diabetic nephropathy (P.H. Dyer, T.A. Chowdhury, S.C. Bain). 12. Psychology in diabetes (F.J. Snoek). Subject Index.
8 ISBN 9780444817884
This volume continues with the basic philosophy of the Annual, providing a synthesis of work published over the past few years. The volume covers both basic science and clinical practice.
- The cell biology of insulin secretion, S.J.H. Ashcroft
- autoimmunity and prediction of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, C.J. Greenbaum et al
- the T lymphocyte in type 1 diabetes, M. Peakman and D. Vergani
- glycogen synthase - characteristic and putative role in insulin insensitivity, J.F. Bak and O. Pedersen
- glucose transporters of peripheral nerves, J. Ltonen and P. Muona
- liver metabolism in diabetes, S.N. Davis et al
- insulin insensitivity in skeletal muscle, E.W. Kraegen et al
- new insights into human carbohydrate metabolism using nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, R. Taylor and G.I. Shulman
- diabetes in children - the aetiology in an epidemiological perspective, G. Dahlquist
- glycated haemoglobin estimation in the 1990s - a review of assay methods and clinical interpretation, D.E. Goldstein et al
- advances in the organization and implementation of diabetes care, P. Home
- biguanides - metabolic effects and potential use in the treatment of the insulin resistance syndrome, E. Widen and L. Groop
- novel routes of insulin delivery, C.L. Olsen et al
- approaches to insulin analogues, J.A. Galloway and R.E. Chance
- islet transplantation, D. Pipeleers et al
- epidemiology of eye disease, K.J. Cruickshanks
- management of diabetic neuropathy, D.A. Gelber and M.A. Pfeifer
- peripheral vascular disease, M.F. Lopes-Virella
- autonomic neuropathy, M.E. Edmonds and P.J. Watkins
- dyslipidaemia and diabetes, G.H. Tomkin
- eating disorders and type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes, B.A. Butler and R.R. Wing
- gestational diabetes, L. Jovanovic-Peterson et al.
9 ISBN 9780444820556
This volume continues in the tradition of the series, providing a mixture of basic science and clinical practice reviews. A number of new contributors participate, along with repeat performances from tried and trusted writers. The book should be useful to a wide variety of readers.
- The epidemiology of diabetes mellitus, A.R.G. Humphrey et al
- islet amyloid, islet amyloid polypeptide, islet function and glucose metabolism in diabetes, A. Clark et al
- metabolic effects of insulin-like growth factor 1, W.P. Borg and R.S. Sherwin
- the IRS-signalling system in insulin action, M.F. White
- non-esterified fatty acids in non-insulin-dependent diabetes - a critical update, G. Periello et al
- the role of fatty acid metabolism in the hypertriglyceridaemia and insulin resistance of type 2 (non-insulin dependent) diabetes, Y.T. Kruszynska
- does pancreatic portal venous drainage matter?, J. Radziuk and P. Barron
- protein metabolism in diabetes mellitus, K.S. Nair and W.F. Schwenk
- the thiazolidinedione drug series, R.W. Stevenson et al
- recent advances in insulin therapy, J.S. Skyler
- aldose reductase and diabetes, D.R. Tomlinson
- advanced glycation and diabetes complications - an update, H. Vlassura and R. Bucala
- the basement membrane in diabetes, A.S. Reddi
- role of nitric oxide in islet B-cell destruction associated with the development of autoimmune diabetes, J.A. Corbett et al
- anti-hypertensive agents and incipient diabetic nephropathy, P. Ruggenenti and G. Remuzzi
- alcohol and diabetes, V.A. Koivisto
- diabetes care by the primary health care team - a review of the literature with some recommendations for the future, T. Lauritzen.
10 ISBN 9780444824264
This annual review of trends in diabetes covers topics ranging from basic science to care delivery issues, including: the epidemiology of Type I diabetes; management of diabetes in the elderly; prophylactic insulin treatment in pre-Type-I diabetes; and information technology in diabetes care.
11 ISBN 9780444828958
The 11th edition of Diabetes Annual focuses on areas of active research and clinical interest which have not been covered previously or where new information is coming to light rapidly. There will be topics of interest to all readers as the book is useful as a consolidation of areas of pre-existing expertise and as a good starting point to tackle new subject areas in the field of diabetes.
Preface. List of contributors. 1. Recent advances in our understanding of sulphonylurea receptors and ATP-sensitive K-channels in pancreatic B-cells (F.M. Ashcroft). 2. Diabetes in Africa (F. Bonnici). 3. The role of growth factors in the renal complications of diabetes (A. Flyvbjerg et al.). 4. New developments in the search for nephropathy susceptibility genes in IDDM. (J.J. Rogus, A.S.Krolewski). 5. Genetics of obesity (A. H. Kissebah, G.E. Sonnenberg, G.R. Krakower). 6. The immunology of atherosclerosis (M.F. Lopes-Virella, G. Virella). 7. The effects of diabetes on cognitive function (I.J. Deary). 8. Metabolic control and microvascular complications in insulin-dependent (Type 1) diabetes: is there a threshold? (P. Reichard). 9. The importance of glycaemic control in the prevention of microvascular complications in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (B.R. Zimmerman). 10. Microalbuminuria in non-insulin-dependent diabetes: significance and management (G. Jerums, R.E. Gilbert) 11. Diabetic nephropathy and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (S.M. Marshall) 12. Sexual dysfunction in diabetes mellitus (A. Bhattacharyya, J. Beirne, P.G. Wiles). 13. Insulin therapy (P.D. Home, A.B.E. Ahmed). 14. The management of dyslipidaemia in diabetes (A. Gaw, J. Shepherd). 15. The economics of diabetes health care: a new challenge (J.E. Overland, D.K. Yue, J. R. Turtle). Subject Index.
12 ISBN 9780444828965
This edition carries on the traditions of past volumes, examining up-to-date issues in the world of diabetes. The annual introduces a variety of topics from TNF alpha, to diabetes in China, to traffic of glucose transporters. Although some titles may still be easily recognizable, their contents have been modified to fit the needs of the times. Some of these titles, such as "hyperglycaemia as an arterial risk factor", are relevent to diabetes care, while others, such as "hyperglycaemia and embryopathy, regulation of appetite", provide foundations for future developments.
1. Predicting Type 1 diabetes (P. Bingley, E. Bonifacio, E.A.M. Gale). 2. Environmental factors and Type 1 diabetes - Is the secretory granule the target? (M.A. Myers). 3. Maturity-onset diabetes of the young (T.M. Frayling, A.T. Hattersley). 4. Gestational diabetes mellitus and future Type 2 diabetes (M.R. Druce, A. Dornhorst). 5. Diabetes in China and Chinese populations (C.S. Cockram, J.C.N. Chan). 6. Insulin dependent intracellular traffic of glucose transporters (L.J. Foster, Z. Khayat, A. Klip). 7. The role of free fatty acids in muscle insulin resistance (E.W. Kraegen, G.J. Cooney). 8. Tumour necrosis factor alpha (E.C. Ledgerwood, J.B. Prins). 9. The role of beta adrenergic signalling in the regulation of fat and energy metabolism (Y.T. Kruszynska, J.P. Frias). 10 .Regulation of appetite (P.S. Widdowson, G. Williams). 11. Insulin-like growth factor I treatment for diabetes mellitus (D.B. Dunger, C.L. Acerini). 12. Insulin analogues (T.R. Pieber, G.A. Brunner, A. Siebenhofer). 13. The amylin analogue pramlintide: mechanism of actions and possible therapeutic implications (O. Schmitz). 14. Diabetes and smoking (P.Van Combrugge). 15. Insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease (B.V. Howard, S. Gray). 16. Hyperglycaemia as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease (M.Laakso). 17. Prevention of visual loss in diabetic retinopathy (E.M. Kohner). 18. Diabetes education in childhood (V. Barron, M. Silink). 19. Mechanism of diabetic embryopathy (U.J. Eriksson. J. Cederberg, P. Wentzel). Subject Index.
6 ISBN 9780444892515
In a time of cut-backs in research funding in all research oriented countries, there is still an ever expanding proliferation of literature on diabetes. There is a need for synthesis in the field by experts in the different areas. The Diabetes Annual is designed to meet this requirement with the addition of several new authors for this volume in addition to the existing international base of authors.
List of contributors. Preface. 1. The epidemiology of diabetes mellitus and associate disorders (P. Zimmet). 2. Immunology of IDDM - Type 1 Diabetes - Entering the '90s (E. Bonifacio and G.F. Botazzo). 3. The aetiology of non-insulin-dependent diabetes (D.J. Chisholm, E.W. Kraegena and L.H. Storlien). 4. Diabetes in tropical developing countries (C.S. Yajnik). 5. The molecular genetics of diabetes (D. Jenkins, C. Mijovic, J. Fletcher and A.H. Barnett). 6. Trends in dietary management of diabetes mellitus: An update (D.L. Boctor and D.J.A. Jenkins). 7. The sulfonylureas (L.P. Krall). 8. Insulin injeciton therapy (J.C. Thow and P.D. Home). 9. Diabetes and exercise (V.A. Koivisto). 10. Diabetes Education: Prescribing information (S.M. Dunn and J.R. Turtle) 11. Computers in diabetes care (K. Piwernetz). 12. Pregnancy and diabetes (J.D. Baird). 13. Pancreatic transplantation (G. Pozza and A. Secchi). 14. The development of implantable amperometric glucose sensors (M.F. Cardosi and A.P.F. Turner). 15. Diabetic nephropathy (S.M. Marhsall). 16. Autonomic neuropathy (D.J. Ewing). 17. Obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes (P. Bjorntorp). 18. Non-enzymatic glycosylation (H. Vlassara). 19. Hyperglycaemic emergencies: a further look (K.G.M.M. Alberti and S.M. Marshall). 20. Proinsulin (S.N. Davis and K.G.M.M. Alberti). 21. Plasma lipids and lipoproteins in diabetes mellitus (M.F. Laker and and P.H. Winocour). 22. Macroangiopathy (J.A. Colwell, R. Klein and T.J. Lyons). 23. Insulin secretion in vitro (C.R. Bliss and G.W.G. Sharp). 24. The insulin receptor: Signalling mechanisms (B. Obermaier-Kusser and H.-U. Haring). 25. Insulin infusion devices (C.D. Saudek). 26. Hypoglycaemia in insulin-dependent diabetes (R. Tattersall and D. Maggs). 27. Growth harmone and insulin-like growth factor I in experimental and human diabetes (A. Flyvbjerg, J. Frystyk, I.B. Sillesen and H. rskov). 28. Glucose transport in muscle and fat (J.E. Foley, D.A. Young and P.A. Bell). 29. Ketone body metabolism in diabetes mellitus (R. Nosadini and A. Avogaro). 30. Animals with diabetes: Progress in the understanding of diabetes through study of its pathogenesis in animal models (E. Shafrir). Subject Index.
7 ISBN 9780444896940
This seventh volume provides overviews and updates on developments in the research and treatment of diabetes and its complications, dealing especially with those areas where much information has been published in the last 12-24 months. Several new authors have been recruited covering previously untapped areas, but still spanning the whole range from clinical diabetes to basic biochemistry.
1. The genetics of diabetes - an update (G.A. Hitman, K.A. Metcalfe). 2. Insulin secretion - pulsatility and signalling attributes (D.R. Matthews). 3. Glucose transporters and diabetes mellitus (O. Pedersen). 4. Glucose intolerance and diabetes in liver disease (Y. Kruszynska, N. McIntyre). 5. Rheology and clotting factors in diabetes mellitus (M.F. Lopes-Virella, R. Jokl, J.A. Colwell). 6. Abnormalities of the vascular endothelium in diabetes (G.L. King et al). 7. Hypertension and diabetes (H.-H. Parving). 8. Renal tubular dysfunction in diabetes mellitus (G. Jerums, R. Gilbert). 9. Diabetic dyslipidaemia - plasma lipids and lipoprotein composition in diabetes mellitus (D.W. Erkelens). 10. Pathogenesis of proliferative diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy (J.V. Forrester, R.M. Knott, L.C. McIntosh). 11. Pathogenesis of diabetic neuropathy (A.J.M. Boulton). 12. Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in young people - the epidemiology of physical and psychosocial complications (C. Lloyd, T. Orchard). 13. Strategies for diabetes patient education - a review of fundamentals (R.M. Anderson, M.M. Funnell). 14. Glycaemic index revisited (T.M.S. Wolever). 15. The role of monounsaturated fatty acids in the diet of people with diabetes (J. Mann, A. Chisholm). 16. Insulin therapy (R.J. Heine). 17. Pathophysiology of hypoglycaemia (A.M. Robinson, I.A. Macdonald). 18. Latrogenic hypoglycaemia in people with Type 1 diabetes - consequences, risk factors and prevention (P.E. Cryer). 19. Continuous glucose monitoring with a subcutaneous sensor - rationale, requirements and achievements, and prospects (G. Reach). 20. Pancreas transplantation (R. Landgraf).
「Nielsen BookData」 より