Trade and environment issues are achieving ever greater prominence in the WTO. This timely volume contains key papers on this important and highly contentious issue.
There is a natural linkage between trade and environment through the use of policy instruments. But when does more trade help or hurt the environment? There is clash between the market-opening principles of free trade, as reflected in the WTO, and the environmental quality and market regulating instincts of environmentalists. This volume examines the conceptual issues involved, as well as the manner in which the subject has been handled by the WTO. It will be an invaluable source of reference for students and researchers alike.
Introduction Trade and the Environment: Seeing Red Over Green Gary Sampson and John Whalley
PART I GENERAL LINKAGE DISCUSSION
1. Werner Antweiler, Brian R. Copeland and M. Scott Taylor (2001), 'Is Free Trade Good for the Environment?'
2. Hiro Lee and David W. Roland-Holst (1997), 'Trade and the Environment'
3. Carlo Perroni and Randall M. Wigle (1994), 'International Trade and Environmental Quality: How Important are the Linkages?'
4. Richard H. Snape (1992), 'The Environment, International Trade and Competitiveness'
5. Arvind Subramanian (1992), 'Trade Measures for Environment: A Nearly Empty Box?'
6. James A. Tobey (1990), 'The Effects of Domestic Environmental Policies on Patterns of World Trade: An Empirical Test'
7. John Whalley (1996), 'Trade and Environment Beyond Singapore'
PART II QUANTIFYING THE DIMENSIONS OF LINKAGE
8. Lisandro Abrego, Carlo Perroni, John Whalley and Randall M. Wigle (2001), 'Trade and Environment: Bargaining Outcomes from Linked Negotiations'
9. Lars Bergman (1991), 'General Equilibrium Effects of Environmental Policy: A CGE-Modeling Approach'
10. Brian R. Copeland and M. Scott Taylor (1999), 'Trade, Spatial Separation, and the Environment'
11. John Whalley (1991), 'The Interface between Environmental and Trade Policies'
PART III SPECIFIC STUDIES OF LINKAGE
12. John Beghin, David Roland-Holst and Dominique van der Mensbrugghe (1995), 'Trade Liberalization and the Environment in the Pacific Basin: Coordinated Approaches to Mexican Trade and Environment Policy'
13. Gene M. Grossman and Alan B. Krueger (1993), 'Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement'
14. Hemamala Hettige, Robert E.B. Lucas and David Wheeler (1992), 'The Toxic Intensity of Industrial Production: Global Patterns, Trends, and Trade Policy'
15. Patrick Low (1992), 'Trade Measures and Environmental Quality: The Implications for Mexico's Exports'
16. Robert E.B. Lucas, David Wheeler and Hemamala Hettige (1992), 'Economic Development, Environmental Regulation and the International Migration of Toxic Industrial Pollution: 1960-88'
PART IV INSTITUTIONAL BACKGROUND
17. Jagdish Bhagwati and T.N. Srinivasan (1996), 'Trade and the Environment: Does Environmental Diversity Detract from the Case for Free Trade?'
18. Steve Charnovitz (1998), 'The World Trade Organization and the Environment'
19. GATT (1992), 'Trade and the Environment'
PART V SETTLING DISPUTES
20. James Cameron (1998), 'Dispute Settlement and Conflicting Trade and Environment Regimes'
PART VI WTO AND MULTILATERAL ENVIRONMENT AGREEMENTS
21. Duncan Brack (2000), 'Multilateral Environmental Agreements: An Overview'
22. Gary P. Sampson (2001), 'Effective Multilateral Environment Agreements and Why the WTO Needs Them'
23. Graham Dutfield (2002), 'Sharing the Benefits of Biodiversity: Is there a Role for the Patent System?'
PART VII DEVELOPING COUNTRY CONCERNS
24. Arthur E. Appleton (2002), 'Environmental Labelling Schemes Revisited: WTO Law and Developing Country Implications'
25. Magda Shahin (2002), 'Trade and Environment: How Real Is the Debate?'
PART VIII SYSTEMIC
26. Daniel C. Esty (1998), 'Non-Governmental Organizations at the World Trade Organization: Cooperation, Competition, or Exclusion'
27. Howard Mann (2000), 'NAFTA and the Environment: Lessons for the Future'
28. C. Ford Runge (2001), 'A Global Environment Organization (GEO) and the World Trading System'
「Nielsen BookData」 より